Recognising and celebrating his contributions to climate action across the UK housing and built environment sectors, our chair and owner Derek Horrocks has been awarded a place on Unlock Net Zero’s Climate Champion’s Power List 2023.
Joining fourteen others across the industry in achieving recognition for dedication and results, Derek solidifies his position as one of the most respected professionals representing housing decarbonisation at the highest level.
Derek said: “I am truly humbled to have been named on Unlock Net Zero’s list of climate champions this year. I have never been driven by awards or individual success, but if this win can inspire professionals within my own business or across the industry then I will be very happy.
“Though this award goes to individuals, I know that it would not have come about without my equally inspiring and driven colleagues. We work as a team, always thinking about the people we serve and the planet we must protect, and I am pleased that our significant progress is being recognised.
“There are countless people who could have been named on this list because as an industry we’re all rightly focused on the sustainability mission. I’m incredibly proud of everyone whose ambitions know no boundaries and are responsible for constantly raising the standards –and I hope that 2024 sees continued collaboration and widening of our combined influence to work towards a better future for all.”
During 2023, Derek has been involved in the progression of existing initiatives and the formation of new ones. In summary, highlights include:
- Bringing together 25 large contractors and energy suppliers to form the National Home Decarbonisation Group (NHDG)
- Being appointed to the board of The Retrofit Academy
- Maintaining a director-level role with the National Insulation Association and Solid Wall Insulation Guarantee Agency
- Representing the housing decarbonisation sector at the highest level, engaging with the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero (DESNZ) and sitting on the PAS2030/PAS2035 steering group
- Leading SBS through the delivery of multi-million-pound retrofit decarbonisation schemes to the social, private and private-rented sectors at scale
- Beginning a fintech solution to open long-term private finance for owner-occupiers/landlords under the Green Homes Finance Accelerator (GHFA)
Ultimately, one goal drives Derek: improving people’s lives – whether they reside in private or public housing – through tackling the main crises of health, cost of living, energy and climate change crises.